Sunday 29 June 2008

Old habits...

Woo-hoo! It's the final of Euro 2008 tonight. What an excellent tournament it's been. Such fantastic attacking play from every team -- even the Italians (at times).



And, of course, I am delighted that my team for the tournament, Spain, have made it to the final. I hope they beat the despised Germans...



Why?

Huh? Who are you?



Your conscience. Why do you hope Spain beat Germany?

Because Spanish striker Torres had such a great season for Liverpool last year.



So, if Torres wasn't playing, would you hope for the same result?

It's not just Torres. Pepe Reina, Alvarao Arbeloa and Xabi Alonso are on the subs' bench. And Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is Spanish.



But take away those guys whom you've never met, will you still support Spain?


Um, yes.



How many Spanish friends do you have?

None.



How many Germans have personally gone above and beyond the call of duty to help you out when you were a stranger to them?

Er, over half-a-dozen.



How many Spanish products do you own?

None.



What's the only brand of pen you've paid money for in the past five years, and where is it made?

Staedtler. And it's made in Germany.



Where does the software that you use at your job originate?


Germany.



How many times have you flown on a Spanish airline?

None.



How do you fancy another flight on Lufthansa?

Ooh, can I? I love that airline.



So, with all that, how come you are rooting for Spain to beat Germany?

Because it's Germany, dang it! I grew up in England. I root for three teams: England, and whoever is playing Germany and/or France! And I have no idea what to do when Germany play France!



* * *

Such, dear readers, is the logical mind of a sports fan.



Viva, Espana! (At least for tonight.)

2 Comments:

Charlotta-love said...

I think my conscience and I would only debate over chocolate. I have tried german chocolate but still need to try some spanish chocolate. Then the debate will begin.

Shankar said...

Um, Germany wins on the chocolate front as well. It was nigh near-impossible to find Spanish chocolate. It's very good, but very limited in availability. Spain imports all their chocolate from Belgium, France, Germany and Switzerland. Smart boys.

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online