Tuesday 17 June 2008

O Tempora O Mores #1

This is the title under which I will make my observations about how technology is influencing life in general, and mine in particular.



* * *

I remained a stubborn holdout against the digital bandwagon in the world of cameras for a number of years. Not that I had anything against going digital: I was just waiting for the number of megapixels on offer to reach my minimum threshold of 8.0, and at an affordable price.

Also, for the past few years, I've been using my cousin's very nifty Nikon F-601 SLR camera, and I was very pleased with the results. So I was not going to go for a compact digital camera, but one of the big daddies, a digital SLR.

Last year, by the time I got to Qatar, I had identified the one that I wanted: the Canon 400D. Unfortunately, every time I went to the mall to buy it, it was out of stock.

Finally, it showed up in December, just before Christmas. I was stoked. Until I discovered that it didn't come with a memory card, and also without a proper bag. That made the quoted price not that attractive.

I was with my friend, Shaun, at the time, and he suggested we look at a couple of stores to see if any of them had the camera in stock. We went into another store which didn't have my camera, but had the Olympus E-510 on sale. It looked very nice, but I wasn't too sure as I hadn't done any research on it, and it was a little more expensive than the Canon.

Shaun then told me that there was an Internet Cafe a few doors down in the mall, and we could go and do a little research there. I went to Google, and then typed in the two camera models in the search box.

This is what I found. Someone was looking out for me.

4 Comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to see more photos taken with this fantabulous camera.

Tara D. said...

So, have you gotten the camera yet?

Charlotta-love said...

Seems as though the date to the mall was picture perfect.

Shankar said...

Charlotta-love: It would have been, except I was with a guy. We went hunting in pairs.

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online