Thursday 5 June 2008

Fashion tips for high fliers

I had meant to write this post before I left Doha, but now I have a second person to add some (arbitrary and unsubstantiated) weight to my point of view, so I can now appear more authoritative.

* * *

The resemblance between the real me and my passport photograph is rather superficial (sorry, there is no chance that I will post the actual photo on the Internet), and at times I am amazed that airport officials let me through without a second glance. They are either highly trained and can spot key similarities between the real me and the photograph, or they are extremely blase and couldn't care less what I do in their country. I hope it is the former.

However, a description of the clothes I wear when flying could be easily circulated around the airports of the world ought to suffice as proof of my identity and assure any doubtful airport staff that I am who I claim to be, because, I believe, I have worn pretty much the same clothes while taking a flight for the past four years.

There is a method to the consistency: I wear the heaviest of everything I own.

The heaviest shoes (usually sneakers).

The heaviest trousers (a pair of jeans).

The heaviest shirt (my Liverpool polo shirt).

The heaviest jacket (that won't cause me to melt).

And in my hand, I carry the heaviest book that I am carrying, and if possible (and if applicable), my camera.

Why? Because airlines will weigh your baggage, but they do not weigh the passenger.

There you have it: my method for shaving a few hundred grams off my baggage weight. And the method agrees with this guy's rules: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24281719/.

3 Comments:

Charlotta-love said...

I will wear my bulkiest outfit I'm packing as well. A jacket, a book, a pillow, and food (of course) also go on the plane with me.

I like my passport picture though. I did post it.

Tiffany said...

Very insightful...I consider myself to be well-versed when it comes to traveling (especially via airplane) and I hadn't thought of of this angle.

Unknown said...

Oh oh, the mention of football shirts reminded me of this: you can get Liverpool shirts without the unfortunate sponsor! At least on child size.. My nephew has one. Eee they school em young these days.. Worth the research? Will add to your luggage space...

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online