Thursday 22 May 2008

Mostly about a man in a hat

He's almost here. After 19 years away, he's back. And who really cares whether or not he is as good as he used to be, or whether instead his age is going to tell? He's got his fedora, he's got his jacket, he's got his bullwhip...and he makes archaeologists look cool. It's Indiana Jones, and I am going to give him a lot of leeway. Now, the big question is where am I going to watch the movie? I haven't been able to confirm yet whether it opens in Qatar tomorrow, but even if it does, I may just wait till I am back in India to watch it. The reason: I don't know if the whole movie will be shown here. Let me explain. In the build-up to the release of the "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", one of the local TV channels showed all three previous Indiana Jones movies on successive weekends. I didn't get to watch the first two movies, but I watched most of "The Last Crusade". I say I watched "most" of it even though I did not budge from my seat from start to finish. I watched "most" of it, because they only showed "most" of it: every Jewish reference was cut from the movie. At the end of the movie, Indy only had to face two of the three challenges. I wonder how much of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was actually broadcast? Probably only the first hour or so. So, as I don't know what other local sensibilities may be offended in the latest adventure, perhaps I will just wait till I return to India and watch it there. Of course, I'm assuming that no Indian sensibilities are offended, either. "The Temple of Doom" with its sensitive portrayal (not!) of Indian cuisine is banned from cinemas in India.

2 Comments:

Charlotta-love said...

Oh _ hope you get to watch __ soon. ____ ____ #4 ____ be great! _ don't care that ________ Ford __ older. Ahhh, _______ Ford...

(all words with the letter I for Indiana or J for Jones have been removed.)

Anonymous said...

Being a loyal and avid Dr. Jones fan myself I feel for you my friend. If you like I can purchase the DVD movies for you and send them to you. I'm not sure if they will let them through customs though, you tell me.

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online