Tuesday 13 May 2008

Compatibility

Ever since I first became aware of computers as a young teen, I have been aware of the issue of compatibility. Back then, in the pre-Windows dominated world of personal computers (yes, such an era did exist), the big issue was between DOS and Apple operating systems. A file saved in one system couldn't be used in another (or so I believe, as I never did encounter an Apple system in those days). The rise of Windows and the decline of Apple reduced the compatibility issue to a large extent...until now. The new Office 2007 software looks a whole lot different than the Office 3.x-Office 97 versions, and the default file extension is .docx not .doc. Why is this important? Well, Office 2007 was installed in my company's offices last year, and has more recently been installed in my client's offices in Qatar. I had written something in a Word document the other day, and saved. When I came back to my hotel and tried to open the file on my own laptop, it wouldn't. I had saved it as a .docx file, not .doc. Thankfully, in this day and age, we are not left to our own devices. We may be little lambs lost in the wood, but there's always Google to help us out. A search led me to the Digital Inspiration blog, which pointed me to the wonderful service at zamzar.com. The free file conversion was completed in less than 10 minutes. Thanks, fellas.

4 Comments:

Juliekins said...

Not being a computer genius, I have struggled recently with docx! In fact just today! So, like you, google came to rescue. I guess downloading service pack 3 was a good idea while we were at it. So this is what happened today: Somebody sent me a docx file and I told her I couldn't view it and to please change the file type. She replied by saying..."I changed the font, maybe that will help." haha.

Tara D. said...

Poo for compatibility issues. Yay for google.

Charlotta-love said...

Do you suppose eHarmony.com ever has problems with files not being compatible? See...this is what keeps me up at night.

Anonymous said...

Get a Mac and look down your nose at everyone else having those issues!

The Dark Side leave my friend. A Jedi become you, iLife will you be converted to.

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online