Monday 12 May 2008

The Bucket List

I’ve had this blog registered for a few months now, but I haven’t got around to writing so far, but this seemed like a great topic with which to start:

About 10 days ago, my friend Charlottalove posted part of her Bucket List, based on the Jack Nicholson-Morgan Freeman movie. I really liked the post, and so I said to myself, "Self! Let's kick-off my blogging career by sharing a few goals with the world." And self replied, "Yeah, whatever." I was not discouraged.

What are the types of things that would make my Bucket List? Well, they would have to be somewhat achievable (so walking on the moon is out), and somewhat well-defined and not completely nebulous (so simply stating "I want to get fitter" is not acceptable).

After much thought, here's what makes the list:



1. Read the entire Old Testament in six months. This may take a while. I always lose steam around 2 Kings, and then read random books and chapters here and there in the rest of the Book.

2. Sing “You’ll Never Walk Alone” with the Anfield choir, preferably on a European night. I may only have four years to get this one done!

3. Learn to swim. Four failed attempts over the years, at different ages, in different locations, and different would-be coaches.

4. Drive up the Pacific Coast Highway. I’ve done some marvellous road trips in the US so far, but never one in California. And I’ve got the camera for it now.

5. Live in Switzerland. So I can say that I have a Swiss bank account! Oh, and I hear the chocolate there isn’t too bad.

6. Watch and understand a French movie without sub-titles.

7. Visit Israel.

8. Go on a photo safari in Africa.

9. Sing the whole of “The Spirit of God” without my vocal cords feeling like someone is massaging them with a rusty saw somewhere around the second chorus.

10. Learn to ride a horse. This will be extremely tough considering how skittish I get around live animals.

11. Learn to play “My Baby Just Cares for Me” on piano. This will take a while as I don't know how to play the piano yet.

12. Go hang gliding. I’m not too scared of heights, and I’m not particularly nervous about air travel, but the very thought of this has put knots in my stomach.



I think this is a reasonable starter list.

So, how about you? What makes your Bucket List?

9 Comments:

wild murdocks said...

I'm excited that you've finally posted something! Very impressive and ambitious goals. I hope you take photo's (with your fancy camera) of you achieving the goals and post them. Maybe you could do a few of them all at once, like, sing while riding a horse and taking photo's on a safari in Africa?

Charlotta-love said...

One of my bucket list items was: See Shankar start a blog.

Check.

Anonymous said...

I hate to be a kill-joy but I feel that perhaps number 9 is a bit of a stretch. You did say you wanted to be realistic. I don't think anyone can do that.

As for the rest, it'll certainly keep you entertained. Have fun. :-)

Tara D. said...

Yay! You've finally started blogging. I love that you said you were skiddish around LIVE animals. I'm personally a little skiddish around the dead ones. Ew! And I'm totally with you when it comes to having your own Swiss bank account. Oooh I want one of those...

Tiffany said...

Bienvendidos a el mundo de "blogging" mi amigo! Glad to see you've joined the ranks : )

Tiffany said...

BTW, your #8 is definitely on my bucket list!

Kevin and Jamie said...

okay I have to agree with switzerland, that is on my list!!! Its fun that you have a blog, I think it is such a fun way to keep in touch!!!

Steve Reed said...

One of the things on my bucket list is to beat Shankar at the game Risk. Or just any game.

hoLLy said...

hey shankar-its holly duenas. remember me and joey from the corpus christi insitute days? whats up yo? :) your bucket list rocks. you've got some awesome goals. one of my goals is to be an extra in a movie. stupid some might say? why yes, yes it is. i don't aim too high. maybe i should.
anyways,welcome to the blog world! check out my blog when you get a chance~hoLLy

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online