Saturday 5 July 2008

The New Laws of Fashion

Sometimes we read, hear or see something that makes a deep impact upon our consciousness. It moves to reflection or action. However, sometimes it takes a bit longer than we would like to move to action.

Thus it was with me and the New Laws of Fashion. Specifically #38:

38. POLISH YOUR MID- AND DARK-BROWN SHOES WITH BLACK SHOE POLISH. This will create darker shades near the seams and gradually deepen the patina all over.

Wow! What a great idea...except I don't have any mid- or dark-brown shoes. When I read this article last year I had one pair of shoes. And they were black.

Then I remembered that I had a pair of burgundy shoes at home in Chennai. I thought that they would also be ideal for this treatment.

Imagine my surprise when I got home (about a month ago) and found white streaks all over the surface. What on earth were these white streaks? I couldn't wipe them off, even with a damp cloth and mild soap.

Then my dad suggested that it could be paint.

Paint??? On my shoes?? How? It's not like we have a kid in the house who could have used the shoes for an art project.

Well, it turns out that the house underwent some extensive re-painting last summer as my parents prepared the upper floor to be let out as an apartment (about time, too -- there's no earthly reason why the two of them needed such a huge house for themselves), and someone may have been a bit careless in putting down the protective sheets before starting the painting.

Fortunately, my dad had a solution to the problem: wipe the shoes with a cloth damp with kerosene (any petroleum-based fuel would have done). Bingo! The white streaks have disappeared.

And my hunch was right. The burgundy shoes look really cool after being polished with black polish.

The New Laws of Fashion have been extended.

2 Comments:

Yvonne Kizerian said...

You seemed a lot calmer than I would have been had my shoes gotten white streaks across them. Way to keep cool, Shankar.

Charlotta-love said...

So what does one do with white shoes? Or lime green in my case?

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online