Tuesday 28 October 2008

Flying Solo

Due to a couple of unfortunate developments, I found myself rather alone on my trip Pune and Goa, both literally and figuratively.

Pune wasn't too bad, being full of long days commuting an hour to the new office on the other side of town and eight-hour training sessions. Mind-numbing days like those have a way of sapping one's energy to the point that you don't think too much about what you thought were well-laid plans going completely awry due to the decisions of others.

Goa, on the other hand, was different. This was supposed to be a family holiday, but Dad fell ill right before he and Mum were to leave Chennai for Goa (we still don't know exactly what's ailing him, but we suspect it is something mosquito-borne). So there I was, in India's major tourist-trap, with a blank agenda to be filled by
moi, and I wanted to do something spectacular.













I think I did alright.

By way of explanation, I went parasailing on Colva Beach. The guys who operate the ride send up someone with you to manipulate the parachute, and they send upto two people on a ride. My co-passenger was a Swiss tourist named Andrea, whose husband wanted no part of it. His loss.

Oh, and that's one item off my Bucket List. Yes, I know I said "hang gliding", but that was a generic term for flying in a non-aeroplane, non-helicopter way for a change. (Yes, I've ridden in a helicopter, but that was before I developed my Bucket List. Ergo, it didn't have to make it on the list.)

PS: Para-sailing was awesome.

11 Comments:

Charlotta-love said...

I have no idea what to say. Part of me is in complete shock that you parasailed. Part of me is absolutely, 100% jealous. Another part of me is wondering where the nearest parasailing opportunity is for me.

Obviously I suffer from split personality...

Tara D. said...

I bet that was awesome! I'm jealous too. :) Love the title of the post, btw. lol

Megan said...

That looks awesome! I want to do that!

Unknown said...

You look like you were having so much fun. Such a big smile and such a beautiful sunset.

I hope your Dad feels better soon.

PS: You call yourself a James Bond fan! James would never allow someone to call him Jimmy.

Unknown said...

I have to say though that the Goldfinger theme music accompanies the pictures quite well. :-D

Jessica said...

Man why are we not friends in the same country, or at least the same continent?!

My side. said...

Shankar! Thats so fun! thanks for your comments on my blog! They always make me happy when i see them!

Parasailing is so much fun huh?! I went once before and loved it!

hoLLy said...

how fun! i would be too scared to do it though. i'm a total chicken.

about the comment widget, it is still working. i don't know why it hasn't put you on there yet after the zillion comments you left last night(thanks btw:) keep trying...you'll make it :)

Tiffany said...

I'm glad you finally decided to post photos. Do it more often :)

Looks like a thrill....wish I had the guts to do something like that. Maybe I could if I was presented with it and someone else was paying. :)

Bobbie said...

Wow. I can hardly stand on a second-story balcony without my blood pressure soaring. My bucket list would be very sad, indeed.

Steve Reed said...

You are one crazy dude! Who knows what you'll do next!

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online