Wednesday 15 October 2008

I only read Nobel Prize-winning economists. How about you?

A couple of years ago, when I returned to India from my last sojourn in Europe, I discovered that one of the syndicated columns that had started appearing in my newspaper of choice during my absence was by someone named Paul Krugman, whose columns were reprinted from the New York Times.

An unabashed liberal (yes, I can already see my GOP-leaning friends--and there are a lot of them--shaking their heads in disapproval), Krugman seemed to spend all his time bashing the economic policies of the 43rd President of the United States. I'll admit that I enjoyed reading these columns. It was only later on that I discovered that far from being a liberal Rush Limbaugh-type blowhard, Krugman is actually a professor of economics at Princeton University.

Of course, all the fun and games ended and things got serious with the current financial meltdown, and rather than just point fingers at the GOP, Krugman spent a lot of time explaining why things had gone wrong and what was needed to put it right.

Remember my own post on my opposition to the original $700 billion bailout? Several of you were even kind enough to let me know that you agreed with my amateur ramblings. It was inspired by Krugman.

That's Nobel Prize-winner Paul Krugman. Yes, I am only inspired by the best.

Incidentally, I think Krugman's blog post reacting to the news of his award deserves a prize of its own.

Congratulations, Dr. Krugman!

2 Comments:

Charlotta-love said...

I hope we can still be friends after November you liberal...

Bobbie said...

Ron reads Krugman religiously, and Ron's not what you would call a liberal *or* a conservative. He just thinks this man has some really spot-on comments. Apparently the Nobel committee agrees.

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online