Sunday 3 August 2008

Sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters

Not too long ago, there appeared an item in the local newspaper about Chennai's newest sister city. I couldn't suppress a grin when I read that it is my favourite city in the US.

My hometown is a Sister City with San Antonio, Texas.

Fantastic! How wonderful!

Erm, what exactly is a Sister City?

I thought of the song "Sisters" from the movie "White Christmas" (actually, I thought of the version that Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye sing in drag) and wondered if it would provide me some clues.



All kinds of weather

We stick together

The same in the rain or sun

Two diff'rent faces

But in tight places

We think and we act as one




Well, if that's the case, then does it mean Chennai is suddenly going to start playing some nifty basketball, à la my beloved San Antonio Spurs? Unlikely.

A couple of newspaper commentators, one in Chennai and one in San Antonio, have suggested that Chennai could develop a San Antonio-style Riverwalk. Well, if they do, knowing the water quality of Chennai's rivers, the new festival over here would be Stinko de Mayo. So that doesn't seem like much of an idea, either.

I guess I'll be satisfied if we could get some really good Mexican food in Chennai for a change.

3 Comments:

Tiffany said...

How neat! You cannot escape from us even if you tried!

Charlotta-love said...

I think it means that it will be really hot in both cities.

Done.

Tara D. said...

Stinko de Mayo?!? That made me laugh outloud. You're funny!

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online