Saturday 30 August 2008

College Football Team Most Likely to Make 2008 a Great Season for Us at Shankar-GPS (CFTMLTMTAGSFUAS)

It is time at last to reveal the CFTMLTMTAGSFUAS. This is a prestigious title, and one that has been decided after a lot of careful thought, plenty of long-nurtured prejudices and random throwing of darts at a map of the United States.

Ladies and gentlemen...before I name the CFTMLTMTAGSFUAS, here's a little background.

I've always had a passive rooting interest in an SEC team, only that team changes every few years. I started off with the Florida Gators in the 1990s, because I liked watching the way they played on offence, and it was fun to see them try to get to the very top. Then they won the national title, soon afterwards Coach Spurrier left, and I switched allegiences (I can do that--I've never been to school or lived in SEC territory, so I'm an outsider) to the Louisiana State Tigers, due to my love of Cajun food, and the fact that my craziest driving performance was in downtown Baton Rouge (but that's another story). Like the Gators, LSU were knocking on the door of greatness for quite a while, and then they broke through and won two national championships in relatively quick time, so it's not as much fun anymore to root for them.

It's time for another switch. The formula is pretty simple: we need a once-great programme, now on the cusp of greatness again, and with a pretty good reason for me to like them.

Ladies and gentlemen (if any of you are still around), presenting the Shankar-GPS Great Hope for a Great College Football Season in 2008, the alma mater of Herschel Walker, the greatest college running back of all time, theeeeeeeeeee GEORGIA BULLDOGS!



Well, big whoop. They are ranked #1 in all the pre-season polls, and QB Matt Stafford is a prime Heisman candidate, and RB Knowshon Moreno was SEC Freshman of the Year in 2007. So it's not a stunningly bold pick.

Still, the Bulldogs have yet to take the final step under Mark Richt. They ended last season at #2, but their schedule this year has two real stinkers (at LSU and at Auburn) and plenty of banana skins in between. But I think that the Bulldogs are due, and that Uga will barking a lot between the hedges in 2008.

Ring the Bell, Dawgs!

2 Comments:

Charlotta-love said...

UGA Bulldogs? I think I've heard of them actually...

I'm curious, does CFTMLTM2AGSFUAS award scholarships to students affiliated with UGA? I would certainly be interested in applying.

Shankar said...

Absolutely! We here at Shankar-GPS have established a special scholarship for a student affiliated with the CFTMLTM2AGSFUAS -- this year, the University of Georgia -- with the help of our special sponsors in Nigeria.

If you are interested, alls you gotta do is send me your bank account details...

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online