Tuesday 10 February 2009

Oscar time

'Tis the season of self-congratulation in the movie world with Golden Globes, SAGs, BAFTAs, et al. leading up to the big daddy, the Academy Awards. Are you excited?! Neither am I. I used to have some interest if I'd seen any of the movies that are nominated, but I've had a hard time taking the Oscars seriously ever since "Dude, Where's My Car" failed to get nominated for Best Picture.

So, to drum up a little bit of interest in the Oscars, I'm going to dwell a little in the past. I've chosen my five favourite winners from six Oscar categories, and you can vote on the ones from those five that you liked best. Then we'll see how your choices match mine.

The selection criteria are fairly simple: 1. Only Academy Award winners that I've seen are eligible for nomination.

That's about it. If you don't see you favourite winner here...that's tough. I am the only member of this academy.

So go ahead and make your selection by leaving a comment (and encourage your friends and family to do the same). And if there's one that you think I have shamefully overlooked, then feel free to make your case.

Here are the nominees:

Best Picture

  1. 1934 - It Happened One Night
  2. 1943 - Casablanca
  3. 1982 - Gandhi
  4. 2000 - Gladiator
  5. 2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Best Actor
  1. 1934 - Clark Gable in "It Happened One Night"
  2. 1953 - William Holden in "Stalag 17"
  3. 1972 - Marlon Brando in "The Godfather"
  4. 1982 - Ben Kingsley in "Gandhi"
  5. 2004 - Jamie Foxx in "Ray"
Best Actress
  1. 1953 - Audrey Hepburn in "Roman Holiday"
  2. 1964 - Julie Andrews in "Mary Poppins"
  3. 1989 - Jessica Tandy in "Driving Miss Daisy"
  4. 1997 - Helen Hunt in "As Good as it Gets"
  5. 1998 - Gwyneth Paltrow in "Shakespeare in Love"
Best Supporting Actor
  1. 1964 - Peter Ustinov in "Topkapi"
  2. 1988 - Kevin Kline in "A Fish Called Wanda"
  3. 1993 - Tommy Lee Jone in "The Fugitive"
  4. 2000 - Benicio del Toro in "Traffic"
  5. 2004 - Morgan Freeman in "Million Dollar Baby"
Best Supporting Actress
  1. 1950 - Josephine Hull in "Harvey"
  2. 1990 - Whoopi Goldberg in "Ghost"
  3. 1996 - Juliette Binoche in "The English Patient"
  4. 1998 - Judi Dench in "Shakespeare in Love"
  5. 2001 - Jennifer Connelly in "A Beautiful Mind"
Best Song
  1. 1936 - The Way You Look Tonight from "Swing Time"
  2. 1964 - Chim Chim Cher-ee from "Mary Poppins"
  3. 1971 - Theme from Shaft from "Shaft"
  4. 1989 - Under the Sea from "The Little Mermaid"
  5. 2001 - If I Didn't Have You from "Monsters, Inc."

5 Comments:

Tiffany said...

I LOVE Oscar time too! I mostly love to see what everyone is wearing on the big night :)

Me said...

I ditto Tiff! I really don't care who wins or loses I tune in for the clothes! Who wins/loses is all political anyways. The clothes are either heavenly or trashy. But that is why I watch it.

Having said that and I looked over your list I agree with some. I think Becoming Jane should be in there somewhere, even though I don't like Anne Hathaway. But I am a girl and it is a girlie movie.
Can't wait to see Libby's response.

Charlotta-love said...

Did you even see 'Dude, where's my car?' I didn't.

Unknown said...

I am so rubbish at this. Sorry, Curly, but I haven't seen half of the films! I can't really just vote for the one i've seen, can I? Best song is, without a doubt, 'Under the Sea'. Best dance routine out of those... oooh... Chim Chiminee.

I beg a section for best animation. I have more of a knowledge there.

Nexus-6 said...

Usually I'm really excited for Oscar night, but this year I've been under impressed by the nominees. I really liked Slumdog Millionaire, but I was disappointed that The Dark Knight didn't get a nod for best picture or best director (I know it wouldn't win, but an acknowledgment would have been nice). And I keep saying The Reader!? The Reader!? in disbelief. Besides that all the movies are indie pics that the majority of Americans have not even been able to see (darn limited release). I'm not saying inde pics are bad, I love indies, but the academy really is going elitist this year. Anyway, here are my picks from your list.

Best picture: Casablanca
Best actor: Marlon Brando (although I would also suggest Alec Guinness for Bridge on the River Kwai or Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs or Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Capote)
Best actress: None of the above, I suggest Frances McDormand (Fargo) or Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby)
Best supporting actor: Kevin Kline
Best supporting actress: Again, none of the above. I suggest Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton), Cate Blanchett (The Aviator), or Marisa Tomei (My Cousin Vinny)
Best song: The Theme from Shaft (oh, yeah. Shaft is one bad mother...shut your mouth!)

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online