Sunday 22 February 2009

And the winner is...

Here are the results of my own personal Oscar awards (extremely personal, as it turns out, considering only two people even voted):

Best Picture: 1943 - Casablanca
Best Actor: 2004 -
Jamie Foxx in "Ray"
Best Actress: 1953 -
Audrey Hepburn in "Roman Holiday" (watch)
Best Supporting Actor: 1988 -
Kevin Kline in "A Fish Called Wanda"
Best Supporting Actress: 1998 -
Judi Dench in "Shakespeare in Love"
Best Song: 1971 -
Theme from Shaft from "Shaft" (watch)

A few notes:
Best Picture: It ought to have been "Gandhi", but it is tough watching that movie more than once. And I didn't include "The Apartment" in my short-list, as I don't think anyone else would have seen it, which is a pity. Those of you who have never seen it, take my advice and do so.
Best Actor: This is my favourite Oscar winner. When I heard that Jamie Foxx was going to portray Ray Charles, I thought it was a joke. There's no way that that unfunny comic could pull off that role. Was there? I went to see that movie expecting a trainwreck, I came out marvelling. Jamie Foxx was Ray Charles.
Best Actress: Although not my personal winner here, Julie Andrews' acceptance speech for her win at the Golden Globes is my winner for best speech. Andrews had starred on stage as Eliza Doolittle in "My Fair Lady", but Jack Warner of Warner Bros. decided she was too unknown for the movie version, and cast Audrey Hepburn instead. Andrews' consolation prize was practically perfect as Walt Disney cast her as Mary Poppins, and after winning the Best Actress award for "Mary Poppins", she ended her speech by thanking the man who made it all possible, Jack Warner. (Watch her Golden Globes speech here, and her Oscar speech here.)
Best Supporting Actor: Loved them all. Not a dud among the five of them. If you like heist movies, do yourself a favour and try to get ahold of "Topkapi".
Best Supporting Actress: Most of these are duds. I liked Dame Judi's acerbic portrayal of Queen Elizabeth I just a little more than the others.
Best Song: Again, not a dud among the lot of them. "The Way You Look Tonight" (watch the original performance) is one of my favourite songs, but the Theme from "Shaft" is the coolest Oscar winner ever. Here is the opening sequence to the movie. Can you dig it?

3 Comments:

Me said...

Go Shankar!
Best dressed... HUGH JACKMAN!!! I could eat him up! I mean, stare at him all day long. I really liked Penelope Cruz, Jennifer Aniston, Taraji P. Henson, Viola Davis, and even Meryl Streep.
Worst dressed~ Mickey Rourke (But, you can't fix ugly), Beyonce (which is sad because with her body she could have rocked it!), Jessica Biel (What the heck was that??), Sophia Loren (I know she is older but they have people they can hire to help with fashion translation), and someone else, I can't remember who she was but she wore a hideous silver, feathery nasty thingy.

Liann said...

Hmm... a few here I haven't seen. I'll have to check them out. Since we are "soulmates" on movie tastes with facebook!

Charlotta-love said...

Chrystina: one of my friends posted Jessica Biel's dress on her blog saying she loved it. I wasn't partial to the whole let-me-just-tuck-in-the-rest-of-this-fabric look but I guess some people like it.

Shankar: I don't think I knew you were this big an Oscar fan. I learn something every day.

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online