Thursday 14 May 2009

My civic duty

It only took 15 years, but yesterday I finally got to vote in a General Election. I didn't become eligible to vote in India till 1993, and I missed every General and State election since then because I was always overseas, and India doesn't have absentee ballots (half a billion people vote here, who is going to miss a few thousand scattered throughout the country?). Actually, I was in India for the 2004 General Elections, but my records were incorrect so I was ruled ineligible to vote. This time, however, I got it done.

Actually, I very nearly put this on my Bucket List.

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

Does this make you a grown up? :-)

Charlotta-love said...

Good for you! I think people forget too often that the right to vote wasn't always a right. Now that we have it, we need to do what it takes to keep it: VOTE!

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online