Tuesday 9 December 2008

Season's Greetings

When I was a kid growing up in England, we always seemed to have lots of UNICEF greeting cards around the house. Although they featured art work from all over the world, inside each card was the same simple message, "Season's Greetings", written in four languages. I used to wonder why none of them just said "Merry Christmas".
Of course, I now know that there are a number of religious festivals celebrated during this season, so here are my greetings to my friends of various religious persuasions.
  • Today, Eid al-Adha greetings to my Muslim friends.
  • On December 21, Happy Hannukah to my Jewish friends.
  • On December 21, greetings to those observing Winter Solstice festivals in the Northern Hemisphere and Midsummer festivals in the Southern Hemisphere.
  • On December 25, Merry Christmas to my Christian friends (you lucky people will get more than just this line).
  • On December 26, Happy Kwanzaa to those who observe the festival celebrating African heritage.
  • And on December 23, the big daddy of them all, a Happy Festivus: The Holiday for the Rest of Us!
(I promised an increase in silliness.)

2 Comments:

Charlotta-love said...

I did not realize Festivus had an actual date. Man, I've got to get the pole ready!

Tara D. said...

I could totally hear Mr. Castanza yelling that out: Festivus, for the rest of us! Love it, Shankar!

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online